Google - Google Travel, Test Engineering Manager
Boston - Massachusetts, United States of America
The area: ITA Software
Founded by MIT computer scientists, ITA Software by Google is a leading provider of innovative travel solutions. Our products are at the core of the Google Travel focus area and have had a transformative impact on a large, dynamic industry that serves millions of people daily. QPX and Seat Availability form a comprehensive airfare shopping system that is used by leading airlines and travel distributors worldwide, and is also the foundation of Google Flight Search. We have also recently launched a completely new airline Passenger Reservation and Inventory Control System to improve consumers? travel experiences. We value smart, awesome people who want to solve hard problems in a fun, collaborative and casual culture.
The role: Google Travel, Test Engineering Manager
An Airline Passenger Service System (PSS) underpins almost all service related aspects of an airline?s business. It is mission critical: if the system goes down, the airline cannot sell tickets or board passengers. It is a real-time transaction processing system: system latency directly affects how well agents can handle passengers in airports. It is an enterprise platform: an airline typically connects with 30-300 3rd party systems. It is part of an industry ecosystem: a PSS needs to talk to other airline PSS?s, Global Distribution Systems, and large travel agencies via legacy protocols. Google?s new PSS has the flexibility to adapt to the changing needs of our customers and the shifting landscape of the airline industry, where the ability to expose the PSS as an open platform has become a key enabler of new business. Google PSS launched successfully with Cape Air in Feb 2012.
You will be a leader within a significant test engineering initiative, to launch an airline Passenger Service System for a large airline. This will involve directing a number of test engineers, working with other testing teams, as well as product management, development, and operations/support groups.
You will manage automated and manual test efforts, balancing resources, quality targets and schedules. You will also engage with airline customers, understanding and coordinating their testing efforts with those of your teams (in particular, ensuring expectations of testing activity are consistent); and engage with 3rd parties who partner with the airline, and whose systems we need to integrate with and test against.
* Develop and direct a diverse team of test engineers contributing to a large and complex testing initiative to deliver launch-ready mission-critical software
* Define, plan, organize, execute, assess and report on testing activities
* Foster strong testing and analysis practices, and automation strategies
* Work cross-functionally to ensure test environments are fully available, and that your teams know what can be tested (and when) - and what the expected behaviors are
* Engage with airline customers, demonstrating to them why their business will be safe running on Google?s mission-critical airline reservation & departure control systems
* BA/BS in Computer Science (In lieu of degree, 4 years relevant work experience).
* Background in software engineering, with experience working in mission-critical, large-scale application deployment projects
* Experience in building testing frameworks, tools and automation within a large scale enterprise environment.
* Strong project management skills including experience managing in an agile / test driven environment